Sunday, June 17, 2007

sleepless brain

So on Saturday we left for Ojai. We were getting ready after kind of a crappy night's sleep. Before I had my tea, I made a big bowl of oatmeal. A really big bowl. With dates. MMMmmmm, dates.
Dyami: "Are you going to eat all of that?" (Note: Dyami's not a big fan of oatmeal--he was just observing)
Me, evaluating bowl.: "Hmmm. No. You want some?"
Dyami: "Okay."
I gave him a bit, turned away, and then it occurred to me. When Dyami has anything with avocado on it, he gives me the avocado. Dyami doesn't like dates, I thought.
Me: "You like the dates?"
Dyami, chewing: "Oh, I don't know."
Me, slightly--well, very much too aggressively--: "Give them to me!"
Dyami: "Sheesh. I haven't even tried any yet."
Me, realizing I sounded more like I was demanding, rather than suggesting. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean--it was the tea! I need my tea!"

No comments: