Tuesday, July 10, 2007

why do I do this?

Recently, I've noticed I have a weird conversational tic. I tend to announce that something has gone wrong, or that I've made a mistake or jerry-rigged something at the last minute.
Example 1: I get my mom a birthday present. As she's walking up to the house, I'm busily stuffing it into a gift sack and tying on a bow. When she comes in, she says, "Oh, what nice wrapping."
Do I say, "Thank you?"
No. I say, "Oh, I was wrapping that as you were opening our garden gate."

Example 2: Friends who haven't seen us since before L was born greet us at a party. "How are you doing? How has the transition been?" they ask.
"Oh, okay," I said. "But Dyami and I did fight on the way over." Not, "Fine, thanks." or "Mixed results," or "We're hanging in there!" like a normal person.

I know where I get this habit from (also my habit of organizing Tupperware lids). My mom!

Example 3: Anytime my mom cooks something (and she's a great cook) she announces what she did wrong/differently this time that will probably ruin the whole dish (usually this involves substituting healthy things like non-trans-fat shortening or flaxseed for the bacon bits or whatever). "I don't know how it will turn out this time," she says. The warnings are usually not justified.

Actually, now that I mention it, my mother in law does exactly the same thing (ingredient substitution, and the resultant apology/warning).
What is up with this habit, anyway?

Part of me kind of feels like I'm getting away with something if I get compliments on something that took little effort. Like you're only allowed to do things well if it involved bloodletting. Also, I don't like false fronts! So I have to announce when Dyami and I bicker, so people won't think we're faking our happiness. And the ingredient thing (which I do too, but a bit less, since I'm not as much of an experimenter as my mom and MIL)...well, maybe it's just the slightest bit of pride that they can substitute flaxseeds for bacon? And are worried that people won't notice otherwise? Or maybe it is fair warning, since just occasionally the substitutions don't go so well (famously, our Christmas morning coffee cake is now made by my father, because he doesn't tinker quite so much).

Is this just a Hawley thing? Or a me thing? Or is this...a woman thing?
Someone let me know, okay?
And I hope you like this post! I just really threw it together at the last moment, you see, and I didn't use my usual mix of mothering anecdotes and black humor and God references...it might not have turned out so well...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Well certianly not as well as you'd hoped. But then I just came up with my comment on the spot. If I'd had some time to prepare, it might have turned out better. Really I don't have a dictionary or anything here right now. Well I hope yopu enjoy it anyway!