Monday, September 3, 2007

dickens

So I'm reading David Copperfield. I haven't been a Long Victorian Novel fan in the past, but after reading The Woman in White and thoroughly enjoying myself, I decided to just jump in. One has to get used to the diction, but after that, it's not too difficult of a read. And it's nice that he alternates between serious chapters (infidelity! heartbreak! death! intrigue!) and comic chapters (foibles! social satire! romatic comedy!)
The thing is, this puppy is long. I'm a fast reader (I got through the last Harry Potter in two days) and I started reading this one---well, long enough ago that I can't remember. Has it been a week yet? I skim some of the more flowery passages and it still is taking me forever.
The good thing is that I always have trouble finding things to read. And since I'm enjoying this one, I might re-read A Tale of Two Cities, which was a favorite in high school, and then go on to other Dickens novels. With the rate I'm going, I'll be in novels through next year.
What warms my heart is that Dyami is reading a novel right now, too: Wicked. I think he likes it because he takes it, well, let's say everyplace with him. There's nothing more romantic than ignoring each other while you read novels. Ahhhh, wedded bliss.
Actually, I'm not really kidding about the romance. Reading is sexy.
So....enough about me. What are you all reading?

1 comment:

Christine said...

Not quite as intellectual - Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword. (YA fantasy, great escape!) I just finished Gail Godwin's Evensong (about a female episcopal priest. the setting feels a tiny bit like Mitford, but actually well written with multi-dimensional characters and excellent writing) How I cherish those stolen moments with a novel!