Sunday, January 6, 2008

too many doomsday scenarios

Just finished reading Collapse, another one of my fun "The World Is Going To Hell In a Handbasket! Have a Nice Day!" light reads. It was very good. Hard to pick a fav fact: perhaps the e-waste getting shipped to China for little kids to pick apart? (Hey, thanks for that mercury and lead poisoning, America!) or the church in Iowa surrounded by fields...the church now sitting several feet (I'm remembering 10, but that seems crazy) above the surrounding fields because of topsoil loss? Or that though we keep telling the developing world to covet our standard of living (through the World Bank, and more convincingly, Baywatch), if they actually take us up on it, we'll all go to that aforementioned handbasket much quicker?

Anyway, I'm going to have to slow down on the doomsday scenarios. I was just looking at the Netflix new releases page and saw this movie:
"With Earth's life source -- the sun -- dying out 50 years in the future it seems the planet's days may be numbered ..."
At this point, my eyes bugged out and I thought, Holy crap! I thought we had a little more time! At which point I kept reading:
"in this sci-fi thriller starring..."
I know, I know, it wasn't exactly a plausible situation, no? It's just my mindset lately. Due to a little too much doom-and-gloom reading.
But we should be vigilant anyway. Just in case.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Do you read this blog? Just to keep up your current reading streak...