Friday, April 25, 2008

vocabulary

Just got an email from a professor in my MFA program with the subject line: "Fellowship program available to continuing MA and MFA students". Being a churchy Christian, I'm thinking, "Oh! a touchy-feely chance to get to know other students, and possibly other alums!" Since I love community, I clicked on it.
Then I realized that it was the other meaning of fellowship, the higher-education/academia version, being a nice grant/scholarship thingie. Or whatever a fellowship is.
Not the "fellowship hall"/Folger's coffee and doughnuts thing I was envisioning.
Ah well. I'll get my jelly-filled some other way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we need to find a way to combine these two meanings.

A place for people to gather together, get to know each other better, and win fabulous prizes!

(Although, in a way, doughnuts are pretty fabulous prizes.)