Tuesday, June 3, 2008

produce

So the next thing we did in our grand journey was eating a lot of vegetables.
A lot of vegetables.
I was inspired, reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, to join a CSA. We did, and started picking up our veggies every week, and eating a lot of lettuce, and a lot more lettuce, with some lettuce on the side. Then we went down to every other week pickups, and we're a lot happier with less lettuce. But we still have plenty!!
As a result of the CSA, we had a lot of vegetables to eat every week, we'd paid good money for them, with more to come, and thus, we didn't eat out as much. Because we had to use the vegetables! So I got in the habit of cooking more. Luckily, I like to cook.
I also started getting used to prepping lettuce with real dirt on it (and living bugs, which at first seems gross, but then you realize that if the bugs are still alive, that's probably a good sign). And I started buying other organic produce, because the case against conventional produce was made pretty powerfully by Pollan. (Hearing from the potato farmer who won't let his family eat the potatoes he grows for the mass market is a little, well, disturbing)
Experimentation with more vegetables has also led to more vegetarian cooking, wherein I try to, at least a few times a week, use only beans/tofu for protein. I'm lucky that my husband is not a huge meat eater.
When I read a book about effective environmental choices, it said that food choices are one of the biggies. And while organic produce/meat is better, less meat (or no meat) is best. It's just such a resource hog.
One thing I like about cooking veggie stuff is that you don't have to worry about salmonella. Well, unless the spinich is tainted.
Sigh.

No comments: