Friday, May 29, 2009

furoshiki throwdown

Can you say "furoshiki" three times fast?
I can't. But I'm going to try to do furoshiki..one time...fast. Or slow, depending on how agile I am.

Let me start at the beginning.

I am kind of stoked on the "Daring Book for Girls" series. It's a series now, because the Double-Daring Book for Girls has just come out. I gave the first one to my neice for Christmas two years ago, and when she read the back, which announced that it was a "no-boys-allowed" adventure, she turned to my dad, who was reaching for the book, and said, "Hey, Grandpa! It's no boys allowed!"

Anyway, I have the chance to participate in a fun interactive book shower for the authors, in which I challenge my blog readers (and I have a few of you in mind) to a Daring Activity Throwdown. Basically, I read up on one of the book's activities, and time my attempt. Then, you all try to beat my time. And you post comments lamenting how I beat you so handily.

So this is where the furoshiki comes in.

Furoshiki is a Japanese craft that involves wrapping things up (groceries, gifts, watermelons) in a large square cloth. It's not only a fun and useful skill, but also reduces consumption: you can always cart those pesky watermelons away without having to ask for a single-use plastic bag. The Double-Daring book has a variety of wraps to learn.

But I hereby select one for my throwdown: the Hon-tsusumi (two books carry wrap). I mean, it makes sense, right? Me, learning how to make my own on-the-fly book carrier?
And you readers in my audience? You need to participate! You know you have been waiting, just waiting for a way to tote more books with you. Aunt Barb, Megan V., HeLaFo, Michelle, women of WMU...I'm counting on you.

Okay. Here's the illustration that came in the book, along with instructions:

This works best with a larger (42-inch) furoshiki. Spread the furoshiki, and place one book on the left corner, and one on the right. Fold the left and right edges over the books and then flip the books over until their edges meet in the center.
Lift the top and bottom corners and cross them in the middle. Then, flip the two books again so that they fold up together with the crossed fabric inbetween them. Stand them up on end so that the crossed fabric is on top. Then twist the fabric and tie the ends in a knot to create a carrying handle.

Ready, set, Go!

No comments: