Thursday, February 10, 2011

building a better bedtime

Objectively, bedtime is pretty cool. Snuggles, reading, stories, lullabye.
Except. By seven-thirty, I am done. I am ready for the routine to be as simple as possible, and from experience, I know that when we do something once, it will be part of the routine from then on.

So I have kind of a blanket resistance to anything that might complicate or add to the routine.
Even if it is so sweet, so cute, and downright tempting.

For example: "Mama, I look at the stars while I go to the bathroom! See! I see stars and all the beautiful lights."
(Patient Mommy: Ahhhh, she's connecting with the night sky! Lovely!) (Not so patient mommy: Is it just me, or is she going to do this every night? (Answer: yes.))
Another example: "Mama, I'm so tired, you're going to have to carry me to bed!"
(Patient Mommy: Ah, another chance to snuggle!) (Not-so-Patient: Just move already!)

Ah, dear child, carry you? Yes. Look at the stars with you? Of course. Admire the moon's course across the sky together? Anytime!
Just not at bedtime.

No comments: