Thursday, February 8, 2007

stroller

I'm like a whole different type of mom now.
I use a stroller.
Before Lucy was born, Dyami and I looked at strollers and decided not to buy one just yet. It was a great decision. Since Lucy's least favorite place is her car seat, it probably would not have helped to try to strap her in it and wheel her around for even more time during the day. Plus, with a little baby, a sling works just fine, thank you. And it fits in the back seat of my car. With room left over.
I felt a little smug that we had managed not to lay down $100 plus dollars on something everyone says you need.
Then I got my sore neck.
My sweet mom said, "Hey, I've got an umbrella stroller in our garage" (They're grandparents five times over. Can you tell?). I borrowed it, and tried putting Lucy in it. She's under the 6 month recommendation for this type of stroller, but she can sit up on her own, and she is so advanced for her age (yada yada yada).
And guess what? She likes it! We go on walks, and her weight doesn't create migraine headaches!

One problem with the stroller: I'm under 5'4", and it is is too short for me. Not because I'm tall, but because my arms are like that dinosaur's in Toy Story II . It's kind of embarrassing. Realizing how short my arms made me realize why one of Dyami's favorite positions in bed with Lucy doesn't work for me. He kept talking about how when he lay next to her, he'd put his hand on her legs. I tried it once, and my hand doesn't reach past her hips. (And that not comfortably). The reason is now clear: His arms are a good two inches longer than mine. He's a monkey.
Speaking of abnormal body parts, it amazes me how all of us have relatively the same proportions, but such wild variance at the same time. For example, I have a very long torso and stubby legs. So if I sit on the floor with my legs out straight in front of me, I can touch my toes without bending forward very much. Whereas I've seen basketball players whose feet might as well be in Timbuktu.

So, strollering. It's pretty nice. Except for the dogs. I'm afraid some strange dog is going to come up to Lucy. When I see them on the street, I growl.
Okay, I'm lying about that part.
Hey, I get protective around hummingbirds. So what do you want from me?

No comments: