Friday, November 2, 2007

doing something

So I had looked on a cool website about persecution of Christians*, persecution.com--and though it has info on what is going on around the world, it doesn't really have action points.
Then I looked on Tears of the Oppressed and found an Amnesty International type site where you can write letters to advocate for victims.
They're having a special push in November to write as many letters as possible.
So I signed up. They're going to send me an info pack.
Anyone interested in joining me? I'll try to post info here as I get it--maybe that way several of us can participate as we feel led.
As a completely unimportant side-benefit, perhaps it will give me somethign to write about for NaBloPoMo! That way the totally self-indulgent navel-gazing will have redeeming characteristics!

*I liked TotO's explanation for why they help Christians, not all people oppressed--surely there are religious and people groups as or more oppressed then Christians. But since my faith is important to me, and I have no conception of what it would be like to not be able to practice it, I feel drawn to this effort. Sort of like I have a special identification to the victims of the SD wildfires over the victims of Hurricane Katrina--even though Katrina was arguably more devastating, it's easier for me to conceptualize what is happening here. So as I hear news reports of non-Christians persecuted, I will try to take action, but I want to keep Christians on my radar.

No comments: