Sunday, September 5, 2010

chapters

I finally succeeded in getting Lucy to listen to The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. She's listened to one other chapter book (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but that one has chocolate in the title), but so far all my other attempts have failed. I don't want her to be forced; I want her to enjoy.

And now the time has come. She can follow and have the attention for chapters. She asks for the next chapter, and we're reading the book in satisfying gulps.

I keep looking at the titles on our shelf, whole worlds of books to discover, the rest of the Narnia adventures, and Mary of the Secret Garden, and Charlotte's Web, and Heidi, and Stuart Little, and oh, so many books. They may not come tomorrow, but they will be here soon, these worlds, worlds we can explore and savor together.

No comments: