Saturday, November 15, 2008

deciphering

Last night, my parents watched Lucy for a while. My dad played Mr. Sock with her, using a sock as a puppet.

I think.

I think this because on the ride home, Lucy told me so.
"Mr Soooock," she kept saying.
She kept saying it because it took me a long time to get it. I thought she was saying "Mr. Sat," which made less sense. "Mr. Sat, Pata," made even less. But when it was "Mr. Sock, Pata (Grandpa)" I started putting two and two together.
I questioned her. "YOu mean Grandpa took a sock and made it talk like a puppet?"
"Uh-huh."
"And he called it "Mr. Sock?""
"Uh-huh."

Only time (and perhaps my dad's comment...Dad?) will tell if my reading of the somewhat cryptic Lucy story will prove to be correct. I sure hope so. Because if it is, it will be the first time that my child told me a story that I hadn't already participated in.

Next up: the story arc and lessons on characterization. Or should I work on dialogue with her next?

No comments: