Wednesday, December 6, 2006

answered prayer

So I thought I was at the end of my rope today. I raked the leaves (I'll tell you about it tomorrow) and tried to get Lucy to nap, but could only do so while she was hanging in the sling (restful for her, not so much for me), and I couldn't go to my writing group, and I am under the weather. And I was out of tea!
waaaaah!
I did one of my prayers: "ARGH!" and then, more calmly, "God, please give me patience and strength."

It didn't work right away. So I had a cookie to tide me over.

A few hours later, though, a friend of mine who is also a mom (a fabulous one, whom I won't name since I haven't asked permission) IM'd me and asked for prayer. She said she was at the end of her rope.
Knowing the child-rearing issue she's dealing with, I quickly put my own (end-of-the-day tiredness) issue into perspective.
And started prayer-typing (or type-praying?)
It was all I could do.
I reeeeeaaaaaaallllly hope it helped you, dear friend.
Oddly enough (cue sappy violin music) my prayer for my friend was my answered prayer. Besides perspective, hearing another mom say she was at the end of her rope helped me not be so alone. It helped me count my blessings. And it gave me an opportunity to serve (which, strangely enough, is another spiritual discipline).
Thank you, Lord.
As an added bonus, God also answered my prayer more physically. Soon after I stopped praying for my friend, Lucy woke up and needed to pee.
Holding a baby over the sink after she's been sleeping strapped to your shoulder isn't so comfortable.
But this time, she seemed unnaturally light.
It was a small favor, but those are the ones keeping me sane right now.
If any of you are reading and want to pray for my friend, please do. Pray that she'll have insight and strength and rest and that the issue with her daughter will "magically" disappear.
May your prayers be answered, too.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm going to try out that "cookie to tide me over" strategy.

May your friend be given joy in this trial.