Saturday, January 27, 2007

magic sleep part trois

Okay, I took Spanish, not French, so my knowledge of the language is limited to shaky understanding of ballet terminology. Is trois three?
Our Internet has been down for two days, which is why I haven't posted. I was sort of bereft, but realized after the first day that I was actually getting stuff done, like exercising, and felt like I had a lot more uninterrupted time during the day. Hmmm. Maybe Lucy isn't the problem, but our cable modem.
Anyway, there have been exciting developments on the sleep front. The last four days, I've slept in the other room (on the couch while my mother in law was here) and Dyami with Lucy. When she wakes up, he tries comforting her while I try vainly not to notice her crying through earplugs. He goes for as long as he can, and then I go in and nurse her back to sleep.
I don't know why this should work, but it seems to be doing so. The first night she woke 3 times instead of 5-6. Second night, 2. Third night, 1. Last night, she woke up an hour after I put her to bed at six, and then didn't wake up until five am. Five am!!! I went to bed at 9, and my body woke me at four, which is a magic 7 hours of sleep. Then after I nursed her to sleep at five, I went back to bed, and slept until 8:30.
I feel like a million bucks. Omigod, sleep is like drugs. Very, very high-quality drugs. A co-worker of mine once had to take Oxycontin for surgery, and he said that he loved it. "I felt like I did in high school." I know exactly what he meant.
Things may regress anytime, and I certainly don't expect so much sleep every day. But this much improvement in such a short time gives me great hope for the future. She's teachable!
I think I'm going to start on reading next.

No comments: