Thursday, January 18, 2007

the mornings

I love the morning with my daughter.
Well, maybe the first half-hour of the morning. Not that I hate the rest of the day, but in the first half hour, Lucy is well-rested and full, and has just peed. And she's cute at all times, but when she's in her super happy mood that first half-hour, and all of her needs are met at the same time, I can just enjoy her.
So I eat her belly.
This is a very fun game for all of you uninitiated. First, I hold down her arms. Then I make a growling noise and I get louder as I get closer to her belly. Then I sort of gnaw on it.
She loves it! She squeals, and if I do it right, she even laughs.
The laughter of a small baby makes all the night wakings worth it.
Almost.
I also eat her armpit and her hands. Gosh, it's fun.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty. As a small child, I hated being tickled. Hated. So how can I justify doing it to my baby? My defenseless baby? I mean, what if she's laughing out of pain or fear?

But this is the best part of my day! My highlight!
You wouldn't deny me my highlight, right?
Plus, I really think she likes it. I think.

No comments: