Monday, January 15, 2007

nobel prize

Okay, I deserve a nobel prize.
But first: how do babies get their socks off so quickly? I just put Lucy's socks on thirty seconds ago and BOTH PAIRS are now on the freezing floor. These are the socks that used to stay on (the super-cute Trumpette Mary Jane socks). What is a mother with a cold house to do?
Now for the Nobel Prize. Last night, Lucy woke up at 6:45 after I put her to bed at 6 (finishing at 6:30). I was so bummed! Dyami was at church, so I went in the room to comfort her back to sleep. Usually, I just pop Breast A into Mouth B, but we are trying to explore alternative comforting mechanisms. Patting.
Patting seems so --unsleepy to me. I mean, it's just patting! Whereas breastmilk is food and love and warmth and snuggle and magic all at once.
I decided to pat her. For five minutes. Until she got upset again. (Notice I said until, not if).
Pat pat pat.
Baby looking around, somewhat agitated, but not crying. Great, it's not working, I thought.
Pat. Pat pat. Baby looking around less. Somewhat still. (Or is that just my imagination?)
Pat pat. Pat pat pat. Pat pat pat. Pat. Pat Pat. Pat.
Pat. Pat pat pat. Pat! Pat! Pat!
Baby not moving. Asleep! From patting!
I graciously accept this award, on behalf of Lucy, God, and everybody. Thank you.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

hilarious post. you got my vote. those trumpette socks do have a shelf-life, don't they? how long did it take for them to loose their elasticity?